Saturday, March 16, 2013

Weekend Reading

Hello! I'm giving thanks today for Benadryl (because I slept last night), this big cup of coffee in front of me (because my body wonders what the heck), and a gorgeous day outside (light! aaaahhhhhhhh!) Lots of adjusting going on around here, still, and our days all together are that much sweeter. We have big plans to find some good food at the farmer's market, but first here are some posts and such that I came across this week. 

A little musical happiness:


I got up out of bed. My fingers trembled but wasn’t His command to love one another anyways and I tapped out an email to that person whose words had bled me open. I sent an invitation to dinner. Not a rebuttal, not an explanation, not a defense. I invited their whole family to come over and sit across the table. Instead of having a break down or breaking fellowship – I asked if we could break bread.

Margaret Feinberg: Minor and Major Confusion: 5 Tips for Reading Prophetic Literature --I'm tackling Isaiah at the moment, so tucking this away for reference. And, I'm more than ready for the hero to show up, so I inhaled her post Just Give Me Jesus: 7 Things to Remember When Reading the Gospels.


Simple Mom: How I keep my (natural) beauty routine sane --how to swap your shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer, lip balm and face wash for baking soda, apple cider vinegar, olive and coconut oil, and lanolin--hey I still have 1/2 a tube of that stuff :) I already use olive oil as a face cleanser and it works really well, but I'm curious to try these other things.


While this product may be an extreme example, it points to the profound influence of Western individualism on our reading of the biblical text. Passages that were originally written for groups of people, and intended to be read and applied in a community setting (the nation of Israel, the various early churches, the first followers of Jesus), have been manipulated to communicate a personal, individual message…thus leading the reader away from the original corporate intent of the passage to a reaffirmation of the individualistic, me-centered, and consumerist tendencies of American religious culture.

Grow a pretty wheatgrass centerpiece, or Easter garden. What a perfect shade of green :)

There are many reasons I find myself challenging Christians of all traditions to return to the centrality of the table, as we do weekly at our church. It anchors us experientially in the presence of Christ, for whatever else is different about our respective traditions. It delivers us from the tyranny of personality (even for those as large as my own) when it is the Lord’s Supper that is the climax of every Christian celebration. But beyond all of this, it reassembles the Church. Every time we come to the table, we participate in the prayer of John 17 in our unity, not only within our local Church but within our global one.

Sarah Bessey: In which God does not want to use me
May our daily work and our voice and our words and our prayers matter in our homes and our churches and our neighbourhoods (right there is the whole world). But we are not “used” – not that. Instead when we love God, when we are free, when we are walking with, then we are a sign and a foretaste of how it was meant to be in the Garden, perhaps, God’s way of living overflowing organically: the disciple, the friend, the daughter, the son, the brother, the heir, the beloved.

I'm off to plant some wheatgrass, study for the upcoming week at work (still pinching myself), read some major and minor prophets, and soak up some sun with my family. Happy weekending!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...