Sunday, April 1, 2012

thoughts on Palm Sunday

Out of all the special days in the church calendar, I think Palm Sunday might speak the most deeply to me. It's such a paradox: a sobering reminder of how fickle and showy we humans can be and at the same time a joyful celebration of the goodness of God. We wave palm branches, we sing or cry out Hosanna! and we know the betrayal, the crucifixion, is coming. It happens in the story; it happens in our hearts. We love him so much. We fall so hard. Hosanna captures the paradox; crying out for help and declaring praise in the same breath.


Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

How did you set your face like a flint toward Jerusalem, knowing our nature? Knowing we would hide away and protect our own interests? Knowing our capacity to understand and then somehow forget?

I love these stories in part because they continue to happen; they tell us so much about ourselves and more importantly they tell us who he is.

I am Peter, seeking to promote myself. I am Judas, looking for fast comfort and coming up empty. Sometimes, in my better moments, I set what is precious to me at your feet and simply worship. I want more of those moments. I want to live there.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...