Monday, July 25, 2011

making dinner special

I love dinner. The ritual of it-planning, shopping, cooking, and finally eating. My routine goes something like this: on Sunday evenings I make a meal plan for the week, see what we already have in the fridge and pantry, and make a list. I shop on Monday morning with the boys. Then, we try to cook at home all week and reserve eating out for Sundays after church (because who wants to cook after working up a sweat chasing preschoolers around ? Not me.)

Sometime after we had Nicky, cooking became really important to me. Having a small grocery budget was what really started it. It was a fun challenge to see if I could make interesting meals with what we had to work with. I found out it's totally possible. We were also trying to lose weight and learning to love eating fresh, simple food. Now, our food budget is a little more flexible and I tend to be led more by what I feel like making, but I'm so grateful for that time, when I learned to love cooking. Here's the tricky thing with dinner these days-it's a rough time of day. We usually eat at about 6 pm. It's getting close to Silas' bedtime, Nicky is wired because Papa just got home, and Ricky and I need a second wind but it's not time to sit just yet. Sometimes this creates a perfect storm of grumpiness (mostly on my part, I have to admit).

I kind of see this as a personal testing time for me-because most of the time what I feel like doing (and often do, sadly) is to start barking orders and feeling sorry for myself. So I'm trying to work on enjoying the whole process. Music helps greatly. A cold drink. Laughter. Silliness. Eating outside and watching the clouds roll in (even if they are just teasing us, day after day....)

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to share some dinner ideas on here-mostly to inspire myself to enjoy the process and make food that I would want to take pictures of. If you're reading and want to share some ideas yourself, I'd love to hear them.

Here's one from last week:
Frittata with bacon, spinach, roasted red peppers, yellow pear tomatoes and cheddar, simple salad, Corona with lime (a summer staple I say)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...