Wednesday, June 29, 2011

a few Juney things



We've been inside a lot this month, taking refuge from the 100+ degree heat. It seems so hot for June, even for where we live.



Penny is really starting to be a good dog. She knows doggie right from wrong now. Not that she always chooses doggie right. She watches over Silas, which I love, except when she licks the crap out of his face. Then I have to yell a little bit.



Nicky started ninja school, aka Taekwondo. He mainly wanted to show them that he knows a kick or two and spent a good chunk of the class checking himself out in the mirror. He also learned high, middle and low blocks. This is going to be fun.



I love that they sort of play together.



I started making baby food. It's so easy and makes me feel super-accomplished (that's the important part). The last batch lasted about two weeks so I'm going to make more this time. I would love to just make a day of it once a month. My little steamer/rice cooker is really coming in handy.



This guy is sleeping through the night for the most part. It is so bizarre and confusing to wake up with the sun. I finally felt okay with putting him in his crib at night, and with the help of a baby monitor it's gone beautifully. I love sleep.



We're still waiting to hear back from the school about whether or not Nicky's been accepted for kindergarten. Hopefully we'll know soon so we can make some plans.



Last night I made the first caprese salad of the summer. Our tomatoes are still ripening, but the basil plant is huge. This to me is just summer on a plate. We also discovered skirt steak. It is less expensive than chicken or ground turkey, but so, so good if prepared correctly. I marinated it in some balsamic vinegar, worchestershire sauce, garlic, salt and pepper for only about 30 minutes, and it picked up the flavor really well. After grilling it, we sliced it against the grain in small strips. That is essential with skirt steak apparently, otherwise it can be tough and chewy. Ricky made a concoction of melted feta, sour cream, milk and thyme to go with it, and we had some whole green beans on the side. We don't eat a lot of red meat, but this was such an enjoyable dinner.

I am getting ready to cross-train on the Pediatric floor, starting next week. I'm so excited, and it's been awhile since I was excited about work. I worked there once a few weeks ago, and it was such an interesting (and challenging day). I learned a LOT. My patients ranged in age from 18 days to 67 years. Anyway, I'm glad to be adding another type of nursing to my skill set and also take a step in the direction of working with mothers and children. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...