Playing dress-up today, boy style. These were the boys' costumes from an Alice in Wonderland themed birthday party last weekend. It was so fun.
Thursday, March 31, 2011
This room definitely took on the feel of the months while we waited for Silas to make his appearance. I wanted something cozy, autumnal and woodland creature-esque with a homespun feel. This is what I came up with!
crib: hand-me-down from big brother
blanket: crocheted by me
owl "lovie" (in the crib): picked up in a little shop on our Pacific Coast Highway trip
table: belonged to my grandparents, then my parents. It was in our kitchen growing up. I sanded and stained it a darker color to match the crib. There's also a futon on the other side of the room with wood that's about the same color (thank you Craigslist)
bedside table: my nightstand in college, spray-painted blue
lamp: from our bedroom (we finally got a matching set :)
quilt and sweet animal prints: Etsy
mobile: homemade. A few fun afternoons with felt, a needle and thread, and a glue gun. So fun to make!
Monday, March 28, 2011
- Nicky, getting his toes in the mud and loving it
- Romans 14
- the "unforced rhythms of grace" I am learning
- Silas' smile that takes over his whole face
- birthday parties
- being exhausted at the end of the day, falling into bed, feeling alive
- a woman I admire in a hospital bed, the strength of her family, the progress she is making
- new life
Saturday, March 26, 2011
I love the energy of Spring. I've been organizing, clearing out clutter, getting my hands in the dirt, and getting so much more fresh air these past few weeks. Aside from a few windy days, it's been so beautiful outside.
We're working on our backyard, in phases. Phase I we're "hiring out", the rest is all us. The plan: a sprinkler system, sod, a peach tree, red mulch, doubling our garden space, expanding the side porch to the rock wall so it makes a nice big patio with space for a table and chairs and doubles as a dance floor, a sandbox, and last but not least a dog run for Penny. Our neighbor makes dog-houses, so that may be in the works as well. Penny's mostly an inside dog, but she loves being outside. I will love her not coating herself in dirt ten times a day.
It's a small space, but I think we have a good plan. I'm super excited to start that garden, but for now I'm just putting flowers and herbs in pots, to stave off the cravings...
This one rolled over while I was at work yesterday! Belly to back. Trying to get a repeat performance today.
Thursday, March 17, 2011
Ricky's sister got us this great little camcorder, the Flip. I try to keep it close by to catch funny little moments during the day. Uploading videos today, and found these:
Monday, March 14, 2011
- little boy lashes
- big baby yawns
- pain medication for the suffering, the sleep that follows
- not being allowed to refuse medical treatment, regardless of money (I've heard some awful stories this week)
- the Sermon on the Mount (reading and re-reading it for Lent this year...)
- tree blossoms
- garden planning with Ricky
- light on a clean floor
- Sunday afternoons, probably my favorite time of the week
- hearing a bit of wisdom, then needing that very thing soon after (God moments)
- the challenge to work harder, and do better
- and also the grace to let it go at the end of the day
- being shaken here in my comfortable life, realizing how I take peace for granted
- the ease of making friends when you're 4 years old
Nicky makes plans to catch a duck with his new friends
- clocking out
- clean, velvety puppy ears
Sunday, March 13, 2011
Tuesday, March 8, 2011
Sunday, March 6, 2011
- second winds that surprise me
- Nicky's excitement over a stack of fresh library books
- Nice-weather days in between the super windy ones
- Nicky saying goodbye to his grandparents: Goodbye! I love you! Sometimes I always just care about you!
- A patient telling me I have a calming presence- a reassurance that what I do at work even matters....much needed!
- tiny toes, the size of my pinkie nail
- tiny fingers reaching up for my face, curling on my shirt
- Feeling empty, with nothing left to give....because without that feeling I would never long for God, or ask for help
- Nicky's gentleness with me when I am so, so impatient (I don't know if there's anything more humbling than realizing my child is much more grace-filled than I am)
- my church family,so inspiring and encouraging
- days that are not easy, because I grow, because I have to fight that downward pull
- colorful picture frames
- little kids trying to talk when they're really excited
- shelter, heat, clean water, the luxury of choosing what to eat for dinner
- Pandora radio while I'm cooking
Wednesday, March 2, 2011
- Silas is teething, I think. I have never heard him cry as much as he did yesterday evening. He's had a low fever for a few days but no other symptoms of sickness. We tried every trick and remedy last night, but I think what finally put him to sleep was sheer exhaustion. My poor little baby.
- I've been going to Zumba once a week with a friend, that's about all I can do right now but as Silas gets older I'm hoping to do more. It's so fun, I forget I'm even working out. I haven't really kept up the Couch to 5K thing because my knee started hurting pretty early on. It's a bummer, but I don't really think running is something I can do too much of. The first few runs felt wonderful, but then the pain kicked in and just persisted from there. Trying to work off some stubborn baby fat, but not stressing over it.
- Nicky is most likely starting kindergarten this fall. It makes me a little sad, but mostly I'm excited for him. He's so ready, and he needs the structure and stimulation. We submitted his application today-so we should be hearing back soon for testing, etc.
- The garage is progressing s l o w l y. But it will get done! I've had a few really productive days and a lot of days where I pick up one or two things. Other upcoming projects this spring: laying sod in the backyard, starting up the garden, and setting up a nice patio area to eat outside. Loving this warmer weather.
- On Saturday we went to a really fun, Lucha Libre themed birthday party. Nicky decided his luchador name was "Machismo" since that's the name of a character in a book we were just reading.
Silas hanging out during the festivities:
....and now for some productiveness! Happy Wednesday.