Friday, February 4, 2011

snow day

 ....it stuck!

Winter is a rarity here. We've learned in the last few days just how unprepared for snow we are. Our local power company has had to implement rolling blackouts to preserve enough electricity to keep the city going most of the time. They haven't been too bad; usually less than an hour long. Schools and city offices have been closed for three days, to conserve power. Our extreme weather usually comes in the summer, not the winter. It's been interesting.

We've had fun despite the inconveniences. I'm certainly grateful for some quality time with my family, and for the utilities I use (and waste) daily without thought. I feel motivated to put more thought into the resources I uses; to be more aware of them. And I'm more mindful these days of how nice it is to have a warm house, a well-insulated house even. I haven't been cold, even with the power out, because our house is so well insulated. These seemingly small things become huge when we go without them. 



It was fun trying to remember how to build a snowman. I haven't done that since I was a kid, and even then I think we spent most of our snow days sledding, building forts and having snowball fights, so I was never an expert snowman builder anyway....


 Nicky was a trooper, and stayed outdoors for most of the morning until he finally declared, "My whole self is cold!" and was taken inside to curl up with a blanket and PBS Kids, while Ricky and I finished the snowman.


Silas stayed snug and warm inside. Maybe he'll catch the next big snowstorm, in say, 10 years or so.



So, that's our Snowpocalypse 2011 story! It's supposed to be in the 60's by Monday....


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...